How Skype for Business for Android Transforms Business ProductivityBrandon Carnahan
Skype for Business is available for Android. Learn what that means for the productivity of all your Android device users.
The Skype for Business Android app is now available. Users who were already using Lync have been automatically updated to the new app that also fixes the problem of syncing Lync 2013 with Office 365. The app now brings you Skype meetings, presence, instant messaging, voice, and video through a simplified interface on your Android device.
To access this app, you’ll need a device running Android OS 4.0 or later. You can download the app from the Google Play store. If you already had the Lync 2013 mobile app installed, the new Skype for Business app replaced it automatically. This applies to both phones and tablets running Android OS 4.0 or later.
Some of the key functions now available include the following:
- Start a group IM or video conversation. You can invite additional participants right from the app.
- You can join or initiate a Skype for Business meeting. This helps you communicate and collaborate with your team in real time.
- Share your video and view speaker’s video during a conference.
- You can control a meeting from your device, meaning you can mute or remove attendees.
- You can see upcoming meetings inside the app and join them easily.
- You can see your recent conversations (no matter what device they were initiated on) and pick them up right where you left off.
- With the app, you can search contacts by name, email, or phone number.
- This app offers enhanced security via Active Directory Authentication Library
One of Microsoft’s goals for the app was to make contact management significantly better. Users can search their address list in the contact search bar by name, email, or phone number.
A recent update made content viewing available on Android. Within the app, you can view a presenter’s desktop and applications that are shared in a meeting. When viewing this content, the meeting controls disappear to help you focus. With a light screen tap, you can bring back the controls if needed.
Want the nitty-gritty details? You can download a full productivity guide here to make sure you get the most out of Skype for Business for Android. And if you’re a developer, check out this video describing the Skype for Business SDK.
If you want to explore how Skype for Business for Android can improve your enterprise collaboration and productivity, please contact us or call +1 (630) 786-5900.